Monday, August 23, 2010

The Time I Moved to A City (Part 2)

I learn new things everyday here in Chicago. I fall in love with a girl on the train or in passing outside the Whole Foods (actually most of the time it's in Whole Foods. I should just hang out there in search of indie rock girls.) Today, I took far enough that I actually smiled at the girl on the train (she coyly smiled back, I was in). I told myself "if she gets off at your stop, you talk to her." She got off at my stop and walked towards my apartment and I let her get away, the mother of my children.

Today, I also learned that the bus system doesnt use the same card as the train system and thus, I had to walk an extra 1.8 miles to take a piss test today. Halfway through walking I found a guitar pick IN my sock (which was a relief, because I had felt it for awhile and assumed that parts of my foot were just falling off). Immediately following that, I was accosted by a homeless man, who even though I had headphones in and was looking at my phone map (yes, I was lost) tried to come up to me and beg me for money. The joys of a city!

If you were wondering about the whole piss test thing, I had an interview at a boat tour company (Vince Vaughn style) where I'll be a deckhand (aka deck swabbing/people greeting/making sure children dont die). Apparently the only requirement (other than my boyish good looks) was that I take a drug test. No problem. Except out of the list of testing center possibilities, not one was within 30 minutes of my apartment. So now, I have spent an entire day out in Chicago, traversed 4 different trains, 2 miles on foot, lunch with a friend, and picked up my DePaul student ID (in which I look like the odd combination of a fat coke addict!).

No comments: