Friday, August 20, 2010

The Time I Looked for Work

Today is Friday and that means I have now been living in Chicago for 5 days. On the third day I was completely done settling in. I had built all my new furniture and cleaned my entire prison cell (room). This was great, except that I only know 2 people and we have been constantly together for the past week. So now, I'm kind of in a city where I don't know anyone and I don't have a job and school doesnt start for another 3 weeks.

On top of that, I haven't been employed since the end of July. Meaning I'm not even in the vacation period of being unemployed, I'm just bored and watching the entire 3rd season of 30 rock yesterday didn't make it feel better. So now, I'm looking for jobs. Would I be a good receptionist? No, of course not, but I feel like i could have a friendly disposition.

Would I be willing to travel 30 minutes to go be an IT guy at a company outside of Chicago? Normally, no, but when compared to a day watching ESPN updated Brett Favre's eating activities, I say yes. So here I sit, applying to almost every job on Craigslist within reason (I'm skipping the babysitting and dog walking ads, mostly because I think there is some prejudice about what types of people fit those jobs, and I do not fit into that prejudice - I'm not an attractive 19 year coed, unfortunately.)

I was accepted to work study at DePaul, but unfortunately they don't assign you to jobs. You still have to apply, so I did that today, until I realized that all of the jobs were for 2008. Fearing that my school no longer existed, I checked my email about Work study, found an email about a seminar for new students looking for on campus work this fall, and RSVP'd. Within minutes I received an email telling me this session was mainly for new undergrads, although I was still welcome to come (you know, if I wanted to stick out like a sore thumb/hit on 18 year olds.)

I applied for a job at Target (a mile walk from my apartment) and spent over an hour filling out their questionnaire. I get very anxious when I fill these out however, because obviously Target wants to hear you are a hard worker that wont steal, but I feel like the questionnaires are designed to filter out the top and bottom of people. For instance, I'm smart enough that I know what the correct answer should be on every single question. YES, I STRONGLY AGREE THAT ALL PEOPLE ARE HONEST. But, maybe Target knows that if you answer every single question "correctly" you are obviously too smart to work at Target, or at least smart enough to lie about what the right answers are, so it's obvious you dont actually believe what you are saying.

So I tried to incorporate some dumb answers in. How often are you late to work? Once in awhile (instead of never, because no one is ever NOT late to work. Target knows this. Target will destroy you.)

My new roommate said he might be able to get me a job on a tour boat as a bartender, I have been drinking for less than 2 weeks and know approximately 3 drinks. This will not work out well.


No comments: