Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Staying Alive With The Walking Dead





It's not that I hate The Walking Dead on AMC, it's just that I want to take several naps whenever there is not a commercial blasting me in the face. The Walking Dead is always the last show to be painstakingly viewed on my DVR and thus, it probably acts more like a sleeping aid than I realize. It has been well documented that the second season of this show has moved very, very slowly, but there was hope! There was a new show runner in town, the second half of the season would be better!

Then the first of 6 new episodes aired and I was in the same dream like state I was in 3 months ago, when I was left in a post apocalyptic farm world, where nothing is scary, ever. Something is wrong with a horror show that doesn't give you nightmares or create so much adrenaline that you can't sleep. The episode starts off with 37 minutes of the same poppycock from before - "get off my farm," "we need to save everyone," and "I love your Asian body." You can almost guarantee that a much wordier version of each of these quotes is in every episode. In the last 5 minutes of this episode we are introduced to a new character who seems shady and perhaps, will create some real problems for our crew. This show might be creeping on us....

SPOILER ALERT AHEAD

Yet in some fashion, the show runner for the Walking Dead must believe that it's just best not to rock the boat. These characters are introduced and subsequently extroduced (eh?) in one scene. The MO of this show seems to be "well lets put one good scare in per episode and then just meander around for another 40 minutes." This put a damper on my hopes for a good second half of the season, but things got worse. I read this interview with the new show runner who couldn't have screamed louder "I'M NOT TRYING TO UPSET ANYONE AT ALL ANYWHERE." He argues that the first half of the season wasn't his fault (it was a different show runner) but vehemently pushes that he and the previous show runner see eye to eye and get along. He has no problems with network budgetary cuts and he hates fan reactions that insinuate the show stinks. Hmmm, this seems like someone who just wants to come in and not make anyone mad.

It would be silly of us to think that a show runner obsessed with maintaining the status quo can really change a show that has the same aesthetic. A show that screams, "hey we are a zombie show, we have one zombie death per week," while also harping that 40 minutes of character (and not story) development are important and not as boring as watching Chelsea Handler.

This makes me throw up in my own mouth, and I anxiously await the return of The Killing on AMC, at least their show runner is willing to intentionally mess with an audience.

No comments: