Monday, February 13, 2012

Kity Purry Need Records NOW


As I type this, I'm listening to Katy Perry's new song "Part of Me." When I watched it live on the Grammy's my inevitable first thought was "Wow, this is a break up song of magnanimous proportions." I'm partly impressed that she was able to turn out a break up song this fast and partly not impressed because I'm guessing a 34 year old producer with a one word name - most likely "Shyne" or something like that, wrote this song 4 years ago. However, after careful consideration something else needs to be pointed out. Katy Perry's desperate obsession to earn the title for most number 1 songs on an album.

She currently stands at 5 - California Girls, Teenage Dream, Last Friday Night, Firework and ET - and she came very close with a number 6 (which is the record, held by Michael "I Was A Teenage Black Child" Jackson) with The One That Got Away. As an avid hater of pop music I must say that I would listen to at least three of these songs without a gun pointing me in the face. I constantly like to pretend I'm Kanye and sing his verse on ET in the most nasal tone you can imagine. However, a few weeks ago I read this article that noted Katy Perry was "re-releasing" an acoustic version of The One That Got Away hoping to push it back up the charts after it had already started fading. This was the SECOND re-release - apparently she re-released it the first time with a B.O.B. remix.

This is obviously Katy Perry and her record company clamoring for a record. You release a song 3 separate times to try to get the record? That reeks of desperation. ITS ONLY A NUMBER 3 SONG GET OVER IT.

When I first heard the new song after the fear I felt for Russell Brand) I thought, I guess this makes sense, California Gurrrlz (pretty sure this is the correct spelling) came out 2 years ago, time for a new album - I guess this will be the single. Wrong.

She is re-releasing the ENTIRE album with this song and 2 other remixes added. Thus, this song will have the opportunity to make it to number 1 and give her the record. This song is beyond solid, she looked amazing last night doing it and oh yeah, girls under the age of 22 will definitely think this is their anthem for every guy that ever wronged them. Congratulations Katy Perry you finally did it, you have the "best" radio album ever, and it only took 4 different album versions over 2 years to get there!

No comments: