Saturday, January 17, 2009

Week In Review

This is a new segment that will just take small stories of the past week that aren't awesome enough to make their own post. Essentially, they are losers, but when combined into one post they are long enough to pass.

Sunday - I was doing my laundry in the "bad" part of town (mostly to challenge myself to see if I would make it out ok.) I did not. I was sitting in my car, listening to the radio, when a gruff gentleman that would best be described as "wigger" walked by my car. He took a glance in, and saw I was there so he asked me a question. I couldn't hear him and so I answered "no." (Because whatever question he asked me, the answer was definitely no.) So he made the motion to roll down my window, which I would never do, because that's basically saying "yes, please put a gun or knife to my neck while I sit here unable to do anything." I turned off my radio so I could hear him threaten me with his "from the streets" tone. 

Apparently I showcased an attitude when turning off the attitude because I turned and he asked me what the fuck my problem was. I said "What's your question?" He said, "Do you live around here?" and I said "no." (Which was untrue but at this point I would've told him I had the plague just to get him away from me). He asked me again "DO YOU LIVE IN GREENSBORO?" At which point I said "no," in a tone that inferred "You are a retard. Did you not hear me say no 3 seconds ago?"His response "WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM BITCH? FUCK. YOU." 

And he walked away, into the laundromat. I decided to drive away, because he would definitely be coming back out and I didn't want another confrontation that would assumedly end in me getting a little too witty and consequently geting shived. 

Wednesday - I was in Chapel Hill with Ashley and we were driving around looking for Sangria to make some sort of meal. Unsurprisingly Target only had about a 30 gallon bottle, and since that was about 29 7/8 gallons too many, we decided to hit up the ABC store. Now, I'm not familiar with ABC stores, but I know they sell only alcohol. So we go into the store and ask the clerk if she has Sangria. Not only does she not have it, she has never even heard of it. I feel that when a Straight Edge kid who has bought alcohol once in his life knows what Sangria is, and you, a liquor store attendant do not, maybe it's time to find new work. 

Anyway, we ask where we could get some because a customer has now arrived to chime in. And his answer is really the point of this whole story. In the most effeminate, condescending, "I belong in SoHo in an off-off broadway play" way, he says "Ummmm, don't you normally MAKE Sangria?" This may or may not be true, but we needed a very little amount to aid in the cooking and frankly I wasn't prepared to spend hours letting grapes (or whatever is in Sangria) ferment to appease this young man. We tried to explain we just needed a little, was there anyplace that would POSSIBLY sell it and, again, both of them came up blank. 

Friday - Ashley came over Friday so that we could see My Bloody Valentine in 3D. I was discussing this with my co-worker who mentioned he would be seeing it at the same time, same place and offered to pick up tickets before hand for us. I agreed and gave him 16 bucks because normally movies are 8 bucks there. We would be seeing the 10 PM showing and the chance to get attacked by knives in 3D was just overwhelming me. 

I called him around 8 PM to ensure he got the tickets. He had. Only 2 more hours. Around 9:30 we make our way to the theatre to meet up and get our tickets and 3D glasses which cost an additional 3 dollars each (I really enjoy seeing a movie for $11 and unfortunately I can only assume that this movie would cost about $20 to see in NYC.) So on the approach to the movie theatre I get a call from this co-worker, the conversation went like this:

Jerrod: Hey, are you at the theatre yet?
Me: No, I'm about 2 blocks away. 
Jerrod: Ok,  because the movie has been cancelled. 
Me: Why?
Jerrod: Somebody got shot. 
Me: Ummm, WTF?
Jerrod: Yeah, the cops are evacuating everybody now.

We met up with him to get our sweet 3D glasses and tickets in the hope of maybe going back and getting a refund when all the blood gets cleaned up. I later watched the news to see what was happening and all sources point to the opening of Notorious (the movie about a rapper who got shot 12 years ago). Apparently the star of the film was there and that made someone angry enough to shoot someone. Ladies and gentleman, Greensboro, North Carolina!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A mixture of red or white wine with soda water and juices. A best seller at Cantina Roble.