Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We're You Aware of It?

I have recently determined I am not a huge fan of the south. Maybe not the entire south, because I liked Elon well enough and Chapel Hill was cool. Hell, even Charlotte seems cool. Greensboro, not so cool and suburbs of Greensboro? Even less cool. I like saying cool, cool? So without further ado, a list of things I dislike about this area and the people that inhabit this area. (Some of the qualities are not necessarily relegated to Greensboro and Greensboro alone, but this is what people do here, so it makes the list). 

- More than several of the employees at one of my jobs like rap music. Now, I've never been a huge fan of rap music (except in Puff Daddy's hey day, of course) but I often don't fault people for liking it. I suppose my qualm here is that all of these fellows are white rednecks. Again, there is nothing inherently wrong in liking rap AND being a white redneck (although it does bring up several questions on relatability to the music). The problem lies within the fact that these guys toss around the n-word like its a deer carcass they just shot, and they are showing it off to all their friends! They don't do it in the "I'm trying to act black, let me say it" way they do it in the "I hate black people" way and that seems to create a juxtaposition. I will conclude this rant with a short story. 

An employee cranks the rap music and claims that this song (could've been Lil Wayne) is his favorite. No less than 3 seconds later his grandmother comes in and yells at him to "check his colors." I smell a racist!

- I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "NOPE" and "NOBAMA." Let's first put the fact that the election was 2 months ago out of our minds. Not everyone is for Obama, that's fine, but you aren't for Hope? Am I misunderstanding you sir, you would rather not have any hope here? (I was halfway shocked when there wasn't a pro-cancer bumper sticker next to it that said 'FUCK THE CURE')

- No one likes the NBA. Everyone likes college basketball and reference the NBA as "Nig Ball. (I'm not black and I find this insulting.)"

- Everyone fucking loves cars for some reason. You might live in a trailer park but you almost definitely own a pickup truck (for running over black people) AND a mustang (for running away from them). I've heard more car "shop talk" than I would ever like to hear again and every time I hear the word "carbeuorator I tense up and start to shiver. 

- People like guns. There is nothing like hearing casual conversation "Yeah, I carry a shotgun with me in my purse. I can show it to you right now, if you want."

 I dont like Greensboro suburbs. WE'RE YOU AWARE OF IT? 

Back tomorrow with my shopping adventures. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is where my nom de plume comes in with "STOP HATIN' THE SOUTH." Sincerely, Slim "Dan" Thugggaaaa