Wednesday, February 03, 2010

What I Learned In College #2

The one thing I really learned in college was how to cook ramen noodles. It's the simplest, easiest and most unhealthy thing you could possibly eat all rolled into 1!

The phenomenon first started Freshman year. My suite Ben and I both had single rooms sharing one bathroom and this bathroom was actually a bathroom/kitchen (don't think about it too much especially the cliche "shitting where you eat"). Between the two of us we had a hot plate (for cooking things like eggs), a foreman grill (for cooking our meats) and a pot that you plug into the wall that boils water on its own (for the noodles).

We could've made lavish meals (and we once did - although retrospectively, I wonder how is ex girlfriend feels about having her Valentine's Day meal cooked on our toilet, and served in an 8x8 cell with wooden panels that would make any 1983 architect shudder,) but instead we normally made ramen. Delicious ramen, so high in sodium, so cheap in the wallet!

I only like 2 flavors, beef and chicken. (In fact I recently tried the oriental and almost immediately threw it out, I swear to you that it smelled and tasted like oxyclean.) But after literally months of eating Ramen nearly everyday I swore never to eat it again.

4 years later, ramen is back in my life and I'll be honest - I'm in love all over again. I bought 6 at the store the other day and almost shit my pants when the total was less than $1. I wish they could come up with more flavors other than beef, chicken, oxyclean and pork (which I've never tried, but I can't imagine my noodles tasting like ham). Maybe some vegetable tasting ones... so that I could pretend I'm eating healthy while my heart and it's surrounding veins slowly and tastily shutdown. Thank you college, for all you've learned me.

No comments: